Transfer between hospitals
In a critical situation, blood and blood products may be transferred directly from one hospital to another without blood center involvement in packaging or delivery.
In these situations, blood and blood products must be handled appropriately to prevent damage to the contents. LifeShare Blood Centers must be notified of the transfer so that the blood component is tracked to final disposition.
If you have questions or would like more information about transfers between hospitals, contact your local Hospital Services department.
Packaging Blood Products for Shipment
- Place products for shipment in an insulated box or chest designed to maintain temperature.
- Place sufficient refrigerant to ensure appropriate temperature is maintained during transport.
- If frozen products are being transported, use dry ice to maintain temperature.
- For refrigerated products, use wet ice sealed in plastic bag(s) or other suitable refrigerant designed to maintain a shipping temperature of 1-10°C. Wet ice should be separated from blood products by a thin layer of paper toweling or foam sheeting.
- If platelets are being transported, package to maintain a temperature of 20-24°C.
Sending Hospital: The sending hospital must complete LifeShare Blood Centers Form S-66, Hospital to Hospital Transfer of Blood. See side 2 of this form for instructions. This form is to accompany the transferred products.
Receiving Hospital: The receiving hospital should determine the temperature of all transferred products upon arrival to ensure a quality product. Document arrival temperature by completing information enclosed in a "box" on the Form S-66 Hospital to Hospital Transfer of Blood. Please note that return of products transferred for credit will not be allowed if the temperature is not documented and found acceptable.
Documenting the Transfer
The receiving facility should fax a copy of the completed Form S-66 Hospital to Hospital Transfer of Blood (opens window of pdf “Form S66”) to the local Hospital Services (opens window of Product Management>Contacts) department with temperature documentation and signatures.